20070430

Game of Life









6 comments:

G-reg said...

I created this for everyone to play around with -- it's fairly lightweight (16KB), so I don't think it should screw up the page or anything, but let me know if it does and I'll replace it with a link off-site.

Henry said...

thats pretty fun...and speaking from a dial-up person it is not messing up the site....and its fun to play with...but what is it man? maybe explain a litle more about it.

Henry said...

plus i also have to add...dude...that is some gnarly shit...big programming mind grapes....plus it looks like a widget....sell it to apple

G-reg said...

Thanks dawg! Actually, a widget is a really brilliant idea for a simple little program like this.

Since you're on dial-up, I guess you didn't get to see the will wright / brian eno video. Basically, this program is a 'cellular automata' simulation. It's like a game with 'turns'.. so every turn, each square looks at the neighboring squares and changes its state based on these rules:

1) If more than three neighborings squares (cells) are alive, the cell dies as if by over-crowding

2) If less than two neighbors are alive, it dies as if by loneliness

3) Cells with exactly three living neighbors live on to the next turn.

Those simple rules create all of these crazy possibilities. It was thought up by this guy Conway back in the 60s, and he created the first version of the game.

Flash is pretty good at prototyping stuff, but I'm a little frustrated by some of its limitations. I mean, if you program something in like JAVA or C or whatever, it takes a ton of time just to get off the ground, and building an interface is ridiculously complicated, so flash is cool because you can, you know, draw stuff with it.. The big downside is that it's not very fast, which is why I made it look like an old-school game.

I imagine programing widgets you would have to use JAVA, but that's really a cool idea.

Eff Gwazdor said...

We used to have this on Dad's mac, Henry. It worked as a screensaver somehow.

Eff Gwazdor said...

I remember one shape that does this interesting function. You have to draw it exactly right of course or else it doesn't work at all. It basically is an L with a dot after it - 5 dots. on a 3 by three grid it would be:

x o o
x o x
x x o

where x is dot and o is empty.