i was listening to music...and there is certain shit i am really into right now...so i figured i would post a general whatsup with the music hype for our members right now....eff has a great link on his blog to a blog called "20 jazz funk greats"...i hope i dont have to explain the title...but its a cool blog...btw...farleys blog is in the links section...its called "synethetic superscam"...and check it out...but i was hoping maybe some people here had some musical tips and tricks....here is my contribtution:
Earth - Earth 2
i think everybody here knows how to download music...pirates of the caribbean....yarrr
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Sly & The Family Stone "Just Like a Baby"
I didn't even ask you to promote me this time... Synesthetic Superscam doesn't have much new up... Oh well...
I keep on telling people that the best way to get music nowadays is by using hype. That's how I found 20 jazz funk greats. The trick is that there is a lot of awful music posted on mp3 blogs linked to hype, but when you discover a good one, bookmark it and check it often.
I think we should all put up some music here, so everyone make an effort to use the file transfer site... Only thing is, you shouldn't put the name of the group too clearly or trawlers will pick it up and the EPN might get whooped.
So I'll put together a mix. Gimme a sec.
Of course I assume everyone has already downloaded and listened with Butthouselike enthusiasm to "Too Cold Car Won't Start" by the inimitable The Flowers of Disgust, the entirity of which can be found hear.
i really like music. a bunch.
20 jazz funk greats is good, but
mutant sounds is better...
a hot track for me right now is SAME OLD MADNESS, an early, unreleased ministry oddity.
i also uploaded martin dupont's 'just because' in the content drive thread - which people should give a listen to, because french cold wave is great, and this is a particularly great album.
Oh yea, I forgot to mention that the martin dupont shit was rad. All of these elements that people since have ripped off are in there, and it's cool to here it totally balls out original like that. Thanks total cool dude.
glad you liked martin dupont, greg.
'just because' is actually from 85! the french minimal synth/wave scene didn't even really get going til around 81/82, a good several years after everywhere else. even more shocking - the french were making this kind of music til as late as 91!
if you like synthy crazy stuff, check out bands like kas product, comix (check out 'touche pas mon sexe', a personal fav), guerre froide, pavillon 7b, ptose, elli & jacno, charles de goal, adn' ckrystall ('cocaina vitamina'!), moderne, x ray pop, trisomie 21, etc etc etc...
for darker, more guitar-driven french stuff, check asylum party, norma loy, marquis de sade, exces nocturne, end of data, clair obscur, resistance....
you could also check out the "so young but so cold" compilation put out by tigersushi, or the (much better) bippp compilation put out by born bad.
and here are a bunch of french coldwave videos on youtube
and this lovely site is a fine resource as well.
did i mention i really like music??
TCD - Shut up! You'll never know as much about music as us do. Might as well stop trying and go back to cluelessville.
BTW - mutant sounds is pretty cool - I like how whenever they describe what a song sounds like, the band they compare it to is also 100% completely obscure. So far I haven't picked up on a single reference... Totally Cool!
I want to find more mp3 blogs that I like. But it's hard sorting through crap. That's what I do all day anyway in the compost heap. I wish there was something like an internet shower.
Hey people who aren't as cool as henry wants you to be - "20 jazz funke greats" refers to thee album by Throbbing Gristle. This is one of the few groups that has consistently held my interest over the years - if you are not familiar, you might want to check it out. But not before you eat. Or after.
What good is music? If you are hungry you can't eat it. If you are cold you can't wrap it around your body. If you are lonely you can't hug it. If you are crazy you can't get psychoactive medication from it. What good is music?
i saw a cd in the cutout bin yesterday by a band called "HOLY SHIT!" i didn't buy, it, but i guess i'm really into them right now.
nobunny loves me, but i LOVE NOBUNNY!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jgIgLjgIk90
yeah, okay, I already linked to this video in a Happy 4/20!! comment, butt i LOVE this SONG, marijuana day aside. And everyone should get a chance to see it.
Its a great performance, but its also my favorite song of all time, right now. And it has been for, like, 2 full weeks. Sure it sounds like Randy Newman, or some such musical theater crapola, but it also gots more hooks than... that movie of the same name(which i suppose only hand Ah single HOOK, but how often has Dustin Hoffman made movies during our lifetimes, period?)!
Here are some pictures i snapped of the one man band marvel, NOBUNNY, live and in my friends' basement a few weeks back:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmyabbs/446336744/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmyabbs/446336746/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmyabbs/446336758/
and more songs up on dat space: www.myspace.com/nobunnylovesyou
I was just writing this huge comment here about how great Tom Petty is, and I realized that it were turning into a Synesthetic Superscam post, so I moved it there, and made it so you can download some tru Bollywood gems... Anyway, what's the point?
EFF's post about the joshua bell washington post experiment led me to buy a 6 sided record set of j.s Bach, performed by nathen milstein. It's from the 70's and I fucking love it. It made me think about c64 music because it's one instrument making harmonies and sounding like 2 distinctly different violins at points, even though it's only one person playing live.
I've also been listening to lots of james brown and duncan's music.
Post a Comment