This is one of the british soldiers who were captured in Iran, talking about the hard decision of country / vs. daughter's birthday party:
----------
At another time, Turney said the same official asked her how she felt about dying for country.
By her fifth day in detention, she said she was told that she could be free within two weeks if she confessed that the crew had intruded into Iranian waters.
"If I didn't, they'd put me on trial for espionage and I'd go to prison for several years. I had just an hour to think about it," The Sun quoted her as saying.
"If I did it, I feared everyone in Britain would hate me. But I knew it was my one chance of fulfilling a promise to Molly (her daughter) that I'd be home for her birthday on May 8.
"I decided to take that chance, and write in such a way that my unit and my family would know it wasn't the real me."
Turney told ITV1 that she "felt like a traitor" when she was forced to write letters of confession that were shown on Iranian television.
"I had no choice, if I didn't comply I was looking at being charged with being a spy," she said.
20070409
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm really surprised she didn't just say:
"When I joined the Royal Navy, I assumed it was going to be a lot of "blowing shit up" with a playstation joystick from a computer in some barracks -- prison was like, soo gross. And didn't they understand that if I didn't get back in time for dinner, my family was going to be really really mad at me? At that point I would have given away ANY country secrets just to be able to check my myspace and thecobrasnake. I mean, my fellow countrymen would understand right? And why is everyone yelling?"
OH MY GOD. I just read a little further in the same interview. This is a quote from the "young one". The twenty year old who felt he was being made fun of more than the other soldiers because he was the youngest:
"They seemed to take particular pleasure in mocking me for being young," he said. "A guard kept flicking my neck with his index finger and thumb. I thought the worst."
I THOUGHT THE WORST??? What, that he would move on to Wet Willies? JESUS CHRIST.
Here is an aricle that deals with that absurdity with British satire. Note author...
Terry Jones Article
BTW - that website is a good source of news.
Post a Comment